The University of British Columbia (UBC) is pleased to offer the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Programme, a fully funded opportunity for African students to pursue their master’s degree in Canada. This prestigious scholarship aims to nurture the next generation of African leaders who will contribute to positive change in their communities and countries.
To be eligible for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Programme at UBC, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a citizen of an African country
- Have completed a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent, with a minimum academic standing of B+
- Be applying for their first master’s degree program at UBC
- Demonstrate a commitment to giving back to their home communities and countries
- Have a track record of leadership and community engagement
- Be able to demonstrate financial need
The application process for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Programme consists of the following steps:
- Complete the online application for admission to UBC’s master’s degree program of your choice.
- Submit all required documents, including academic transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement.
- Indicate your interest in being considered for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Programme in the online application.
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited to participate in an interview.
- Selected candidates will receive an offer of admission and a scholarship award.
In addition to meeting the eligibility criteria and completing the application process, successful applicants must fulfill the following requirements:
- Obtain a study permit and visa to study in Canada.
- Participate in a pre-departure orientation organized by the Mastercard Foundation.
- Enroll in the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at UBC, which includes academic and leadership development activities.
- Maintain good academic standing throughout their studies at UBC.
- Participate in community service and engagement activities.
- Contribute to the alumni network and mentoring programs after graduation.
The application deadlines for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Programme at UBC vary depending on the master’s degree program. It is important to check the specific deadline for your chosen program on the UBC website. Generally, the deadline falls between November and January for programs starting in September of the following year. Early application is encouraged to allow sufficient time for processing and consideration.
The University of British Columbia Mastercard Foundation Scholars Programme offers a life-changing opportunity for African students to pursue their master’s degree in Canada. With full funding, leadership development, and community engagement opportunities, this program equips scholars with the skills and knowledge to make a positive impact in their home countries. If you meet the eligibility criteria, we encourage you to apply and take advantage of this exceptional opportunity.